Devoted Legal Counsel Throughout Los Angeles
Call Today for a Free Phone Consultation! 310.736.2063
We'll Answer Your Questions Dedicated. Local. There for you.

Frequently Asked Questions

Personal Counsel from a Dedicated Lawyer in Marina Del Rey & Los Angeles

Facing a legal matter, especially one as sensitive and personal as a family law issue, can be difficult. Having a knowledgeable attorney on your side can help you understand what you are going through and your legal options. Marmolejo Law offers answers to a few commonly asked questions below.

To discuss your unique matter, or to learn how the firm can help you, call (310) 736-2063 for a free phone consultation.

What is the difference between a contested and uncontested divorce?

Generally, in an uncontested divorce, the separating spouses are able to collaborate and come to agreements on important decisions regarding their children, the division of their assets, and support matters. In these cases, mediation or settlement conferences may be utilized to help save the time, expenses, and stress associated with court. Contested divorces, however, may require a family law judge to step in and make decisions when the couple cannot come to an agreement.

How is custody awarded in a divorce?

Child custody is often one of the most contentious issues in a divorce. Judges and parents will always seek a legal and physical custody schedule that is in the best interests of the child, which does not necessarily mean they will always award joint custody or favor one parent. If, for example, there is abuse or neglect or should one parent’s household offer a standard of living closer to what the child is accustomed to, sole physical custody may be awarded.

Can I modify the terms of my divorce agreement?

If your circumstances have changed, the terms of your support or custody arrangement may no longer work for you, your ex-spouse, or your child. In these cases, the court offers an opportunity to revisit and modify the terms of your agreements. Whether you have lost your job, are planning on moving out of state, or if your child has additional needs and you need additional financial support, our Marina Del Rey family lawyer can help you through the process and advocate for your best interests.

Is a prenuptial agreement right for me?

Many dismiss marital agreements as “unromantic” or think that they do not have enough assets for a prenuptial agreement. This is far from the truth. A prenuptial agreement is a smart way to protect your best interests in the face of a divorce or separation.

What type of visitation schedule is right for me?

There are four (4) types of visitation a parent may file for:

  • 1) Scheduled Visitation: This involves cooperation from both parties -- it is a set, detailed plan created so avoid any confusion. Dates, times, holidays, vacations are planned in advance.
  • 2) Reasonable Visitation Order: Both parties work together to create a schedule that works for them and the child(ren). It is not planned in advance.
  • 3) Supervised Visits: The visit is supervised by a professional, yourself, or another responsible adult.
  • 4) No Visitation: If it is in the best interest of the child, you can petition for the other parent to have no contact with the child(ren).


  • Counsel that is always available, readily accessible, and has a fast response rate

  • A collaborative approach, yet willing to litigate when necessary

  • Insight from volunteer work with the Sojourn Domestic Violence Clinic for restraining order and protection matters

  • Legal and emotional understanding and compassion for emotionally charged issues